About the job
The OUT Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to remove the barriers that block LGBTQ+ individuals' access and participation in fitness, health, and wellness, ensuring their success. We are dedicated to nurturing, empowering, and celebrating LGBTQ+ bodies and minds, guaranteeing our community thrives.
Position Title: Communications Manager
The Communications Manager will help us build greater awareness of our organization and brand, and will be an essential part of OUT’s organizational visibility, community engagement, and program content dissemination.
The Communications Manager will play an integral role by developing, executing, and evaluating communications strategies, in conjunction with our leadership team, that advance OUT’s mission and goals and amplify our programs and events. The Communications Manager will oversee all of OUT’s external communications and digital platforms, including website, social media channels, public and media relations, and collateral content materials.
The ideal candidate has a communications background with graphic design and digital marketing experience, a personal commitment to fitness and/or health and well-being, excellent writing/editing skills, is highly organized and detail-oriented, and demonstrates an ability to thrive in a highly dynamic and fast-growing organization.
This is an exempt, full-time remote position (40 hours per week). General office hours are 9 am - 6 pm, however, the position will require evening and weekend availability as needed, based on workload and priorities, as well as some travel for meetings and events.
Salary is commensurate with experience and ranges from $50,000 - $55,000 plus a bonus structure. We offer a very competitive benefits package that includes full medical insurance (health and dental premiums are 99% employer-paid; vision and life are also available), generous time-off policies (holidays, sick days, and PTO), home office setup reimbursement, partial cell phone reimbursement, and a monthly fitness/wellness reimbursement.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer and Director of Development to create comprehensive, long- and short-term communications plans focused on ambitious annual goals
- Responsible for the roll-out and execution of the annual communications strategy and plan including objectives, timelines, benchmarks, and metrics for measuring success
Social, Digital, and Integrated Marketing:
- Manage website and social media strategy, maintenance, and reporting; promote community engagement
- Develop and manage an external communications calendar utilizing all forms of media to increase awareness
- Measure and analyze metrics and track performance to inform and refine resource deployment
- Support fundraising and programmatic events to help further reach
Content Creation & Graphic Design:
- Develop and produce marketing collateral (email communications/newsletters, annual report/yearbook, website, social media, etc.) including content creation and design for multiple purposes: programs, fundraising (campaigns, grantors, partners/sponsors), events, and other marketing documents
- Manage and distribute all brand assets as needed
- Supervise external creative vendors like web developers, videographers, and photographers
Community and Public Relations:
- Monitor and strengthen OUT’s brand and ensure all organizational communications meet high standards and deadlines, and that brand consistency is maintained across all platforms and in all collateral materials
- Community management of social media networks
- Provide media relations functions, including the creation and distribution of press releases, to support special events and high priorities
- Prep leadership team for media and other speaking opportunities and events by drafting fact sheets, talking points, etc. to ensure consistent messaging, and secure media training for OUT stakeholders when necessary
- Develop press relationships and pitch OUT and its leadership team as thought leaders to place quotes and media appearances in stories related to LGBTQ+ fitness, health, and wellness
- Establish relationships with OUT program staff and participants/alumni in order to develop meaningful narratives about our work
Desired Skillset and Attributes:
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to our mission
- Bachelor’s degree in a communications-related field is preferred and at least 3 years of experience in a communications management role preferably for nonprofits or community organizations with expertise in executing a comprehensive communications strategy. Note that years of experience may be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree or other formal post-secondary education
- Knowledge and familiarity with managing content design, implementation, engagement, and analytics reporting for Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Preferred experience with Later or another social media management tool for tracking and reporting
- Required expertise with Adobe Creative Suite tools for creating design assets; experience with Canva a plus
- Ability to leverage email marketing via Constant Contact or a similar communications service
- Media relations experience that includes press release creation
- Familiarity with maintaining and updating websites using WordPress
- Competency in website SEO; data and analytics experience desirable
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Suite and Google Suite
- Personal commitment to fitness and/or health and well-being
- Strong writing/editing and verbal communication skills; ability to capture organization values and culture in writing and other communications efforts
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple demands
- Proven ability to succeed on a remote team and work independently
- Self-motivated individual with a positive and energetic demeanor who enjoys collaboration
- Experience working with people of diverse backgrounds and volunteers
- Familiarity with the LGBTQ+ community, related issues, and similar organizations preferred
- Adequate internet access to facilitate working remotely
OUT is a small organization that values creativity, collaboration, and accountability, and encourages professional development opportunities. You will be a one-person operation on the communications team but we support one another and jump in when needed. We are looking for someone who is humble and motivated by challenges.
The OUT Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to having the rich diversity of our community reflected in our workforce. If you’re passionate about contributing your skills and enthusiasm to help us, we want to hear from you!
To get started, craft a great cover letter that demonstrates and explains your skill sets, personal interests, professional and/or lived experience that you believe make you a uniquely qualified candidate for this role. Send your cover letter, and resume, as well as two writing samples and one design sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Communications Manager” in the subject line.
Only candidates that meet the required qualifications will be contacted, and incomplete applications will not be considered. Initial screening will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.