Position Title: Director of Development
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
The Director of Development will play an integral role in ensuring we achieve our mission by cultivating and stewarding funding relationships, enabling us to scale our impact. The Director will be responsible for spearheading development efforts and leading the strategy, implementation, and reporting of our diverse fundraising portfolio in conjunction with our leadership team.
The ideal candidate is a fundraising generalist and seasoned leader who has a proven record of successful experience in nonprofit fundraising, as well as exceptional strategic thinking, relationship development, and communication skills. The ideal candidate will also be a detail-oriented problem solver with a demonstrated ability to thrive in a highly dynamic and fast-growing organization.
As an essential part of OUT’s organizational visibility and community engagement, the Director will have a personal commitment to fitness, a passion for our mission, and will value a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This is an exempt, full-time remote position (40 hours per week). General office hours are 9 am – 6 pm, however, the position will require evening and weekend availability as needed, based on workload and priorities.
Salary is commensurate with experience and ranges from $60,000 – $75,000 plus a bonus structure. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes full medical insurance (health and dental premiums are 99% employer-paid; vision and life are also available), generous time-off policies (holidays, sick days, and PTO), and a home office setup reimbursement.
Duties & Responsibilities:
-Strategy & Leadership:
- Work in conjunction with the CEO, COO, and CSO (Chief Strategy Officer) to create comprehensive, long- and short-term development plans focused on ambitious annual goals
- Responsible for the roll-out and execution of the annual development strategy and plan including objectives, timelines, benchmarks, and metrics for measuring success
- Support the formation of a Board Fundraising Committee
- Monitor the annual development budget
- Diversify and increase fundraising activities by developing existing and creating new funding sources including individuals, corporate partnerships, foundations, grants, capital campaigns, in-kind donations, and events
- Establish and cultivate meaningful relationships with donors, foundations, corporate partners, and organizations through compelling storytelling and personal connection
- Work with Director of Communications on the production of engaging written and visual content that captures our transformational work for fundraising and events
- Ensure optimum use of the organization’s CRM database (Salesforce)
- Develop and execute plans for donor engagement and retention to grow our sustained base of annual individual donors, including matching gifts and monthly giving programs
- Prospect, cultivate, solicit, and steward major donors through digital and in-person strategies; expand planned giving program
- Utilize a successful peer-to-peer fundraising strategy in the fitness community for large-scale fundraising events including a 10 Year Anniversary Campaign in 2022
- Create a calendar and content for direct mail opportunities including our end of year annual appeal
- Strengthen donor communications and donation acknowledgment systems
- Develop and codify Corporate Sponsorship Program with our leadership team
- Double the number of high-value corporate partners we work with in the fitness, apparel, food/beverage, and other consumer goods spaces that align with our mission and goals
- Collaborate with Director of Communications to create templates and decks for sponsor engagement
-Grants & Foundations:
- Establish and implement a planned approach and strategy to foundations and manage year-round engagement, including reporting, for optimal partnerships
- Engage in grant research and grant writing to develop new opportunities and build operational and program capacity
- Collaborate with the CEO, COO, and Events Coordinator on planning and executing approximately 10 in-person and digital fundraisers throughout the year that range in size, scope, and location from a digital 5k and burpee-a-thon to an in-person Gala and Drag Show
- Supervise the Event Coordinator’s management of OUTAthletics, a program that supports fitness facilities (primarily CrossFit Affiliates) worldwide in hosting approximately 90+ fundraising events per year
Desired Skillset and Attributes:
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to our mission
- At least 5 years of experience in a fundraising role for nonprofits or community organizations and 3 years in a leadership role planning and executing a comprehensive development strategy. Note that advanced board or volunteer service in relevant skill sets will be considered
- Successful record of fundraising from a variety of sources including major gifts, grants, foundations, corporate partnerships, and events
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Understanding of budget development and financial reporting
- Data and analytics experience and/or donor prospecting desirable
- Experience with Salesforce required, and knowledge of Classy and Give Lively a plus
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Suite and Google Suite
- At least 6 months of CrossFit experience preferred
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional relationship development and networking skills to facilitate work with high-profile donors, partners, and organizations
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple demands
- Proven ability to succeed on a remote team and work independently
- Self-motivated professional with a positive and energetic demeanor who enjoys collaboration
- Experience working with people of diverse backgrounds and volunteers
- Familiarity with the LGBTQ+ community, related issues, and similar organizations preferred
- Adequate internet access to facilitate working remotely
OUT is a small organization that values creativity, collaboration, accountability, and encourages professional development opportunities. You will be a one-person operation on the development team, with the assistance of an Events Coordinator, and we support one another and jump in when needed. We are looking for someone who is humble and motivated by challenges.
The OUT Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to having the rich diversity of our community reflected in our workforce. If you’re passionate about contributing your skills and enthusiasm to help us, we want to hear from you!
To get started, craft a great cover letter that demonstrates and explains how you heard about this job, your skill sets, personal interests, and professional and/or lived experience that you believe make you a uniquely qualified candidate for this role. Send your cover letter, resume, as well as two fundraising-related writing samples (previously submitted work is acceptable and encouraged) to email@example.com. Please put “Director of Development” in the subject line.
Only candidates that meet the required qualifications will be contacted, and incomplete applications will not be considered. Initial screening will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.